Ecotrackers en el Cuaybeno con los indigenas Secoyas

Ecotrackers desarrolla la protección de la Reserva Faunísitca del Cuyabeno y la cultura indígena de los Secoyas, un lugar con la explotación petrolera, la migración, la deforestación, el turismo y la expansion de la Palma Africana. (Ecotrackers develops the protection of Faunistica Reserve of Cuyabeno and the indigenous culture of the Secoyas, which is a place with petroleum exploitation, immigration, deforestation, tourism, and the expansion of the Palma Africana.)

Saturday, April 14, 2007

The arribal at the secoya community

The arrival and the daily life.
I arrived in Sushufindi, a little city north in Ecuador, 10 o’clock in the morning, 14 hours after I left Quito, which means I were about 6 hours late. Luckily couldn’t the delay take away my excitement when I met Fausto, a secoya who I later found out is the oldest son in the house and the family I lived with.
Fausto was in town because of his sick mother. As the local shamans hadn’t managed to heal her, she had been sent to the local doctor and later to the hospital.
Fausto and I left sushufindi after a quick lunch and spent the to hour tractor ride to Rio Aguarico watching the colonists banana plantations a long side the road. A terrible sight with the fact in mind that this once was untouched rainforest.
When we arrived at the river port Fausto left me in the hands of his family and friends that were waiting us with a canoe, as the last hour of travelling had to be done up river.
In the beautiful little community with about 100 habitants I was at once introduced to the family I was going to live with and the traditionally secoya life. The family consisting of the father Roberto, five of his seven children and two grandchildren, are all living under the same traditional secoya roof in the only room in the house.
The days and time in the jungle passed by without a sound, as Roberto and I were wondering trough the almost to amazing forest, fishing the family dinners, planting corn and visiting and talking to friends and family alongside the violent river. A fantastic and easy way of life some where lost on the way in our time fighting, western society

Posted by Picasa

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

your site is loading fast

10:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home